Monday, September 15, 2008

9 to 5

Okay that was a lie. I don't work in the office from 9 AM to 5 PM. I usually work from home in the morning to beat DC rush hour traffic, then go to the office around lunch time.

Anyway the pic above is just to show you what I stare at for a couple of hours, 5 times a week. My PC (ugh) with the nice color-coded (albeit full) Outlook calendar, my Maryland Terps cup, and the legal pad with all sorts of formulas I try to concoct every time a proposal needs to be sent out.

I like my job. It exercises my brain, especially when I need to do all those algebra and calculus stuff for proposals. It makes me do techie stuff and even creative stuff when an ad needs some minor designing. Plus I have a really laid-back boss who doesnt care where or when I work as long as I get the job done. He forgets to record the time offs I take unless I remind him. This job allows me to have a stable source of income while at the same time serve God (I've even gone on mission a few times during my employment here. It was no problem with my boss).

Just this afternoon though, I was talking with a good friend of mine on Google Talk/Gmail chat. She was talking about how she wants a job that directly serves God more. That made me contemplate about my job.

I work for a political magazine/website based in DC. Most - if not all - of our writers have been fawning over Obama. Their articles and blogs obviously show that they're Democrats, especially when they keep saying negative things about the Republican candidates. Now I'm not saying I'm a Republican or a supporter of McCain (I'm not even eligible to vote), but I feel all these writers, political pundits, etc have in some way influence over the voters. While I don't have anything against Obama as a person, I do have an issue with him being pro-choice and with his plan to have all supreme court judges to be pro-choice. If Obama wins, I fear for the lives of those unborn children. If he wins, does that mean my company had a small hand in that? And does that mean, as an employee of this company, I indirectly helped the pro-choice cause? I helped kill unborn babies? Yet I call myself pro-life? A witness for life?

I'm confuzzled.



Sent via BlackBerry from T-Mobile

No comments: