Tuesday, December 4, 2007

Oh there's no place like home for the holidays

My level of homesickness goes up every December due to the bajillion Christmas celebrations happening in the Philippines this time of the year. As they say, the pre-dominantly Catholic country celebrates the longest Christmas season.

So to deal with this, I will list out the things I miss the most from back home during the holidays:
  • Parols - those colorful stars, lit up by the bulbs inside them. I hardly see those here because they're expensive.
  • Puto bumbong - buying a couple of warm puto bumbongs after a Simbang Gabi mass, with coconut on top and that brown powdery sugar... ooh and butter melting on top of it too... mmm...
  • Simbang gabi - waking up at the crack of dawn, wearing a jacket, feeling the cool breeze as we walk to church, fighting off my heavy eyelids later that day.
  • Choirs singing Christmas songs - we all know there are hundreds of versions of Christmas songs. But for me, nothing beats the version of a simple church choir's. I heard a rock version of O Come All Ye Faithful on 91.9 and my mind went "NOOOO..." I thank God and Toyota for the option of changing to another radio station. I know there are church choirs here, but I heard them more frequently back home. Probably because back then we would attend special masses in school and so of course the choir would sing Christmas songs, while the rest of the students are forced to sing along. If you don't comply, you will get a stern look from your teacher.
  • ABS-CBN's Christmas special - what can I say, I am a sucker for Christmas songs. Even if most of them lip sync it. I make an exception during the holidays because they wear nicer clothes.
  • Christmas shopping at ATC - the thing I love about this mall (aside from it being 15 minutes from our house) is that it's not one big building. It's open, outdoorsy... I don't feel claustrophobic even with the holiday crowd. Since it's not cold in the Philippines, I love walking around this mall and taking in the ambience, oftentimes seeing a familiar face - may it be a relative or an old high school classmate.
  • Driving around Alabang to see the Christmas lights - they have more money over there so they have the better decorations.
  • The weather - it's ridiculously hot in the Philippines, but come December that's when the cold air comes in. And when I say cold, I mean 70's.
  • Christmas party at school - being forced to bring a food for potluck and a gift for Kris Kringle, then just sitting on an armchair while eating cold spaghetti and puto because what else is there to do in a small classroom. On the upside, we don't get to wear uniforms that day, wheee!
  • Sound of Music marathon on RPN 9 - I still don't get the connection between the movie and Christmas (family?), but I got so used to watching it in December that I think I want to pop it in the DVD player tonight and watch, with a cup o' hot chocolate.
  • Watching Christmas specials w/ the family at the living room - nobody wants to watch anything with me anymore. Geez. Maybe it has something to do with the shape of the living room here, and with the TV only fitting in one corner, it's got a weird angle pointing to the couches. Plus the TV's size is small if you look at its distance from the couches. Sometimes you can't hear much either because of the bad acoustics in the living room. Also, I analyze too much.
  • Metro Manila Film Festival - okay, so, before I used to laugh at the movies being shown on that filmfest. It was like this festival where production companies can boast which of them got the bigger stars (though not exactly the best movie you can take seriously - I cannot count how many song & dance numbers these movies have shown at the end). But then when they started making quality films, starting with Jose Rizal, I took notice. Since then the MMFF became one of the things I looked forward to during the holidays, to see Philippine cinema's best movies of the year.
  • "Helping" my mom bake goodies to give as gifts to family friends - and when I say "help," I mean taste the batter while watching the MMFF Parade of the Stars.
  • Delivering gifts around the village - I didn't like it back then because I was scared of dogs chasing me, but I miss it now. Bring on the german shepherds!
  • Anticipated mass at Christmas Eve - with the choir at their best and the church is at its crowdest, this is my favorite mass of the year. After that the kids get to run to the baby Jesus and kiss his feet, and the rest of us greet the other churchgoers, who we've grown up with, a merry Christmas.
  • Christmas morning at home - being the first one to wake up and impatiently wait for everyone else; eating cheese (if we're lucky, Amsterdam cheese!), ham, crepes and ensaymada for breakfast; delivering gifts to our next door neighbors/relatives; waiting for them to wake up as well; and choosing the best thing to wear for Christmas lunch with my relatives.
  • Trip to Baguio - I think this is where my love for road trips started. 7 hours in a van with my family and/or cousins. Going up to the house in the cold mountains of Baguio. Playing cards inside the house while exchanging ghost stories. Waking up to the smell of Baguio longganisa, fried eggs and garlic rice. Bowling with my cousins. Making cardboard sleds and riding on them. Buying peanut brittle and ube jam from Good Shepherd. Buying sweaters from tiangges. Getting some ice cream from Camp John Hay even though it's already cold over there. Horse back riding that just goes around in circles. Biking... that just goes around in circles.
  • New Year's Eve - going to mass then getting home to smell the scent of garlic bread and baked macaroni wafting through the air, some of the food we would eat for the New Year's Eve celebration we always had at home with the relatives that live next door; hiding in my room because the fireworks scare me (they are really loud over there) until my cousins would drag me out so everybody could start eating; going to the other 2 houses next door with Tito Gene throwing coins in his house and Tito Noel in his house (I would later on use the coins I collected at a nearby sari-sari store); drinking Asti Martini at Tito Gene's when I got older.

5 comments:

Vince said...

Holidays on the east coast are the best!!! I'll leave some reasons that may hopefully cure your homesickness (and this may turn into a top 8).

-watching the ball drop when its ACTUALLY dropping
-rockafeller and manhattan in december
-dick clark's new year's rockin eve
-snowboarding
-a santa claus in the mall that actually looks like santa claus
-black friday
-and of course... SNOW!!!

I'm sure there's a million more I can't think of at the moment. Come visit!

Unknown said...

loved this entry Trins...made me look forward to Christmas even more...especially since it'll be Pennylane's first :) Puto bumbong, bibingka with queso de bola and butter melted on top...shyet!!!

one thing I do miss...is you showing up on my doorstep as a surprise...you did that 2 (or was it 3?) times...I still hope that you do that in Christmases to come...just uhm...make sure its not the wrong doorstep ok? :p --- Bex

Vince said...

i heard you were supposed to come here last night! what happened??

Kat said...

vince - yeah i think i better write a new entry on the stuff that i love about christmas here (christmas songs 24/7 on the radio, real christmas trees, etc). hope you turn that into a top 8! and i really wanted to go to nj's party but i didn't know of anyone going from md, and i didn't want to drive alone for 3 hrs. i might get bored and start talking to myself.

Kat said...

bex - ok i only did that twice and the 2nd time was in october so it wasn't like a christmas miracle or anything :D

btw could you email me your new address? no not because i will show up unannounced again, it's because i owe my goddaughter hundreds of gifts already (bad ninang, bad!). so if you could give me your new address so zac efron would know where to go, that would be great.