Thursday, October 2, 2008

A Day of Sisterhood

In the cookies of life, sisters are the chocolate chips. 
-Author Unknown

The gift of sisterhood is one of the things that I cherish the most. It's something that's solid and constant that you know will always be there no matter where you are in life. Even the little quirks that come with sisterhood are so special.

Yesterday at work, I had to do all sorts of computations for a big proposal, and whenever my brain needed a break I'd check my Gmail and my Google Talk window to hear from any of my sisters. One was asking about food for a potluck, one was lending her ear and giving feedback for something I've been discerning about, one was making me laugh by sharing some passport photo requirements (if you're not doing a "medium smile" your photo will be rejected), and one was commenting on a picture from Facebook (again).

By about 5:30 PM my brain was done - but I had something to look forward to. I was going to have dinner with four of my sisters at Ten Ren's to de-stress and just hang out. I was craving for Ten Ren's because the last time I was there I had the eel and... ugh! So I felt I had to go back and redeem my belief in Ten Ren's. And of course, my sisters were willing to be with me as I satisfy my craving.

This reminded me of those times in college when I would hang out in Starbucks with three of my YFC-DLSU sisters to de-stress from all of the schoolwork and just hang out and talk about girl stuff. Even after we graduated, and worked at places far from each other, the four of us would still hang out often at a coffee shop, a resto, or a bar, and again talk about girl stuff.

Anyway, back to Ten Ren's. We were lucky enough to get the couches by the window. Dette took some cards from the shelf and we played Uno while waiting for our food, then pusoy dos when we were full. We were so hungry we ordered so many things. But we got addicted to the edamame. I mean it's not the best-tasting thing in the world but you just can't help but take one and eat, then take another, and another, and another...

Oh by the way sisterhood is also about putting coins in your parking meter in the rain or walking with you to your meter if you're a little scared. 

When it was time to leave, or better yet, when the time in our meters was about to expire, Helen and I accompanied Wendy to her old apartment to pick up some things so she wouldn't have to be alone (the area is not the safest in the world). I'm not really much of a protector, especially since I look like I'm 12, but hey, there's safety in numbers.

As I was driving back I got calls from more of my sisters. One was asking about a shower, one just wanted to know what's going on, and one called to say she is willing to help me out with a discussion group next week. It's funny because I'm not much of a phone person but that night I spent some time catching up with some sisters I haven't talked to at length in a while. With the last caller, we also talked about discernment and the things occupying our time for the moment. Around 11:30 PM I called a sister to ask about an email she sent, and we ended up talking for quite a while as we shared about our service and the trials that come with them. I remember we had long conversations before on the phone when she'd call just to ask what's going on with my life and stuff, so it felt like old times. 

I think God gave us sisters to hold our sanity together. To keep us in check. To guard our backs. To make us laugh, cry... even laugh and cry at the same time (but still keeping our sanity of course). It is such a precious gift that I hope each woman has, and will hold dear in her heart for the rest of her life.  

2 comments:

wendell said...

i love chocolate chip cookies... i love DOUBLE chocolate chip cookies even more and you, you're like my double chocolate chip cookie times infinity. that sums up how much i love you. HEE :D

Kat said...

cheez whiz!
engks :D