Wednesday, February 6, 2008

RIP Bro. Felix Masson, FSC

Earlier today I got a text from my brother saying Bro. Felix passed away. I instantly felt this surge of sadness when I saw the news. Bro. Felix is gone? Forever?

I haven't seen him in 11 or 12 years, but still, he was a part of my life in DLSZ. He was this tall white man that towered over the Filipino students before classes start. He'd usually stand outside his office while students were arriving or after a flag pole ceremony so he could greet everyone that passed by. Whenever he'd see me he'd go "Oh there's my friend, little Katrina! How are you buddy?" Bro. Felix always made it a point to make each student feel special.

I studied in DLSZ for 12 years, and in all those years, he always gave me a stampita as a birthday gift. But it wasn't just me. He did that for all of the students. And we had a pretty big population over there.

Whenever it was a student's birthday (so I guess he did this practically every day), he'd send a note to the teacher asking for the student to be excused so s/he could go visit him. Then the student would go to Bro. Felix's office and meet with him. He'd have a few stampita's laid out on his desk, and would ask the student to choose which s/he'd like to get. After a stampita was chosen, he'd tell the story of the saint in the stampita. Then he'd make small talk and even ask about things that were discussed in the student's previous birthday/s. What a memory! I mean really, with all those students in the school?

I always looked forward to getting a stampita on my birthday. One reason was so I could escape from a boring class and get into Bro. Felix air-conditioned office. Another was because I loved my yearly one-on-ones with Bro. Felix. I'm not sure why Bro. Felix thought of doing that to every student, wouldn't that be tiring? Did he want each of us to be educated in a small way about different saints? Or did he want to just be friends with all of us? Whatever his reason, he never failed to make students feel special.

I remember I was either in 1st or 2nd grade, he carried me just to make me laugh. We were on eye level so it was like I was as tall as he was. I looked around and saw how it looked like if I were a 6-footer. That was the first and last time I felt tall.

Have fun in heaven Bro. Felix! We will miss you over here.


No comments: